Tuesday 26 March 2013

Kirby your Enthusiasm



When I was a kid my parents didn't have a lot of money and selfishly refused to spend what little they had on expensive video games. The first console I got was a Commodore VIC20 (google it) that my cousin gave me (it was at least 8 years old at that point, as was I. Like the VIC20, I was born in 1981). I eventually got a Sega Master System (the original one with the card slot) after a school friend got a Mega Drive 2 and sold me it for 10 pounds. It was a joyous day indeed and I was a die hard Sega fan from then until the day I finally upgraded to an N64. I distinctly remember playing the excellent Wonderboy in Monsterland the same day I got Ocarina of Time.
My first experience of Nintendo games came around the same time I got the Master System. My three cousins all had their own Gameboys and a bunch of different games. I particularly remember playing Link's Awakening, Wario Land and Kirby's Dreamland. As a kid without much experience of games I particularly enjoyed Kirby because it was so easy. Level too difficult? Just fly over the top of it. Struggling with a boss? Find the spot in the boss room where it can't hit you. I think it may have been the first game I ever finished. Since then I have had a real soft spot for Kirby games.
Anyway...recently I've been playing Epic Yarn on the wii, in which Kirby is sucked into a land made of wool and cloth via a magic sock. It's a really great game and I've been playing it with my sister because a) it's 2 player, b) it's 2d, c) it's cute and d) you CAN NOT DIE. These things make my sister happy.
I've had this particular pun in mind for a while (I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it) and thought I'd draw it today. It's just a quick doodle really but I'm pretty happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment